So you want to send a care package to someone special at camp this summer? That's wonderful! We highly encourage sending mail and packages! Just a few things to keep in mind...
1. You can show your love with more than food! Instead, send games for your child to play with other kids (Madlibs, cards, puzzles, etc.), arts & crafts projects, or magazines. Be creative with your care packages.
2. Please keep in mind that we ask our campers to share snacks, games, etc. so please try to provide enough for everyone in your child's bunk.
3. Galil is both a kosher and peanut-free camp. Here are a few food items that fit both criteria:
- Milk chocolate Hershey's bars and Hershey kisses
- Jolly ranchers
- Teddy Grahams
- Barnum animal crackers
- Chips ahoy
- Most potato chips
- Most brands of pretzels (not Snyder's)
- Fig Newtons
- Cheez Its
- and many more!
Learn to check for yourself! Foods that are kosher will have a K or OU symbol on the packaging. Please check the ingredients of any foods you are considering for peanuts and tree nuts in the ingredients. Also, please make sure that the food was not processed in a facility that also handles peanuts and tree nuts. Allergen information is usually available in bold at the bottom of the nutrition label.
For example: This label shows that there are no peanuts in the food, but it was "manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts." Please do not send items marked as such to Galil.
4. To keep our peanut and tree-free campers feeling safe and comfortable, we ask that you do not send homemade goods. It is best to send foods that our counselors are able to check for these allergens.
We do this because we have campers with severe nut allergies. We thank you for your cooperation in this matter to help ensure that everyone at Galil has a fun, healthy, and safe summer!